How to Tell if It’s Time to Buy Your Child New Shoes
- Children ages one to three – The feet grow fast in this particular stage of development and shoes will often be outgrown, about 4 times each year. This does mean that your child will outgrow his or her footwear before he or she wears them out.
- Children ages four to eight – During this period, many kids become quite active and will start wearing down shoes more quickly. With regard to when to buy new shoes for a child in this age range, the answer will often be around every 6 months or so.
- Children ages nine to twelve – At this point, growth has slowed down so that shoes can last approximately one year before they have become outgrown.
- Teens – Shoes that are well-maintained can last longer, but pay attention to their wear and cleanliness.
It is important to know that the above are simply guidelines and all children develop at different rates. This means it is more significant to make sure that your child’s shoes fit appropriately than to strictly adhere to general guidelines. A proper fit consists of:
- About a thumb’s width of space between the longest toe and the front of the shoe.
- A deep, wide toe box that has room for toes to wiggle. Toes that are scrunched together are susceptible to potential issues, including painful ingrown toenails.
- Heels that are cradled securely, but not excessively tight. You should be able to slide your index finger down to the second knuckle in the back.
Making sure that your child has shoes that fit properly is a big step in his or her foot care, but so too is bringing your son or daughter in for a visit with our OKC podiatrist office when foot or ankle pain is present. Here at Foot & Ankle Center of Oklahoma, we are firmly committed to providing exceptional podiatric services for patients of all ages, including children.
Feel free to call us for more information at (405) 418-2676 or schedule an appointment for any of your family members online today!
Get The Foot and Ankle Care You Need Contact Our Office
Oklahoma City Office:
609 W Memorial Rd.
Oklahoma City, OK 73114
© Foot & Ankle Center of Oklahoma. All Rights Reserved.
Web Design by VMD Services.